Hello everyone!!! I hope your last week has been amazing! Can you believe it is already the middle of July?! Scary!
As y’all can see, I have another DIY up for you. Now this really isn’t one of those easy/really fun/simple/you-will-probably-want-to-do-this DIY. It was more of a project that I did and I want to share it with you. It was pretty exiting for me, and my results prove that it can be done! It took a long time, but now it is finally “finished”. I present to you: my Cinderella gown!
(Again, very sorry about the pictures. I actually don’t have an awesome picture of it but this one gives you the jist of what is going on.)
Supplies: lots of material (colors of your choice-I mostly blues and whites), spray paint (sparkles, blues, ect), grommets for making the bodice/corset part, rope or ribbon for corset
What To Do!!
Just so you know, this dress was all hand sewn (which is probably why it is so bad, peeps). I wasn’t creating this dress to be worn out or to go into a contest or anything like that, so this isn’t a very professional or tested and tried way of creating a gown. This was made just for fun so don’t expect your dress from these instructions to be amazing.
The other disclaimer I have is that I created this entire dress by hand. I did this mostly because I didn’t have easy access to a sewing machine and I find I have more control over what’s going on when I do it by hand. Now, with disclaimers out of the way, let’s go! 🙂
As you can see, I had a blue bodice. The first thing I did was to take a bodice from a different dress and fit it to me. Next I sewed blue material from a different dress overtop the original bodice. (I also added bra pads and sewed them in.)
After that, I took grommets, measured where I wanted them to be, and pounded them in with a hammer. I recommend doing this step on a cement floor (like the garage or basement floor). It really helps with the process and the surface isn’t easily damaged. Next I threaded a ribbon through the grommets and this step was complete.
For this skirt, because I wanted it very puffy and flowy, I used many layers (5 to be exact). (I used layers from other dress skirts, a table cloth, and then the top layer was a window curtain. No one will know, right!? 🙂 )
Gathering: I first gathered the material to fit my waist. (If you don’t know what gathering is, you can see a simple explanation here.)
Measure to bodice: I put the bodice on and then the hoop skirt. (Because I wanted it to be large and puffy, I used a hoop skirt underneath.) I then measured the skirts over top of this to what I wanted them to be, length wise and layer wise. I pined the layers together with safety pins. If you are doing this on yourself, you will need help.
Sew together: The next step is to sew the skirts together. Because I had so many layers, I had to use a giant needle. I went the whole length of the waist part of the skirt 3-4 times to make sure they were put together securely.
Sew to bodice: When this was completed I sewed this massive heap of layers to the bottom of the bodice. This was one part that didn’t turn out that well. All my hand sewing showed on the outside of the bodice. 😦 I still haven’t figured out a way to cover that sewing up so if y’all have any tips on how to do this, I would appreciate it!
Spray paint: Because I used a white curtain on top, I decided to spray paint it blue. To add some character to the blue, I not only used blue but a dark blue, a purple, a light blue, and sparkles (which I added to it in a splotchy, artsy way). It made it a little more magical.
Hem as needed: The last part (which I still haven’t done yet) is to hem the bottom of your skirts as needed. Some of the layers are hemmed, some are not. So just finish up that part.
I had 2 pieces to the sleeves: a glittery material for the top, and a puffy material (that was previously sleeves). The glittery material was very dark so I added sparkles to it. It didn’t really change the color that much but it looked pretty. 🙂
Before I sewed them together, I measured the puffy material to how I wanted it to sit on my shoulders. I then gathered that material to fit the length I needed.
I then sewed the two materials together it a kind of puffy way. It is really hard to describe but it wasn’t really in a particular way.
After that, I attached them to the dress.
I hope those instructions explained my process thouroughly enough. It was super fun to do. I actually based my Cinderella gown after the one from the 2015 movie. It didn’t really look like it in beauty or colors, but it does in style. 🙂
Here is my completed project…
(Just to tell you, my sister Lu is modeling the gown! Thanks Lu!)
What did it cost?? Well, the dresses and extra material I bought all came to around $50 (I got all my material from Goodwill). It was so much cheaper then purchasing new material from a craft store. I found all my spray paint from Hobby Lobby that came to around $15 in total.
The review: This was such a fun project to do!! I’m not completely finished with it, need to complete some seams, change the color of the sleeves, etc. Because it was all hand sewn and I’m not a professional seamstress, it isn’t a very polished dress and I wouldn’t wear it out or anything (as I’ve already said). This dress was mainly just for fun for me to create. 🙂
I would give this DIY
If any of you try this project or create your own dress of any kind, I would love to hear about it!!! I hope you enjoy!